Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Inside Perspective of One Undergraduate Study Abroad Experience


My name is Nicole Piasio and I am currently a traditional junior within the College of Nursing. Being a part of a school that highly values Nursing has only strengthened my desire to soon be the confident, passionate nurse that I have so long desired to be. I’ve always gravitated toward children’s contagious spirit and vitality; I’m interested in either Pediatrics or Neonatology because I find both to be challenging fields of study. I am currently considering enrolling into NYU Dual-Degree program, allowing me to focus on receiving both my BS and MS degrees in Nursing. One day, I hope to be either a Neonatal or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.

The nursing program at NYU, which allows for a semester to study abroad, was definitely a deciding factor in my enrollment. Though Nursing is my intended career, my other interests and passions include the arts. NYU stresses that their students gain a multi-faceted education which produces a well-rounded, intellectual individual. I also believe that learning is correlated with sincere interest and happiness; knowledge and experience go hand in hand. Academically, I wish to pursue nursing and through studying abroad, incorporate the arts to achieve my scholastic goals. As a Nursing student, I was able to pursue my dreams in Florence, Italy.

I visited Italy with my family five years ago and became enthralled with the Italian way of life: “la vita bella.” My love of fine art, music, food, photography and Italian culture were fortified as I walked through museums, cathedrals, vineyards, and cafés. I studied the Italian language, cities, and culture. Spending time in Italy, a place where I utilized the language, visited the cities, and embraced the culture, allowed me to employ all that I learned and hoped to continue learning. Time abroad enriched my independence and self-reliance as a student and person. I also enjoyed meeting new people throughout the NYU community and other schools. The convenience of traveling to neighboring European countries also presented incredible opportunities.

The Italian culture is something that I have grown up with. From the permeating scent of garlic in my home on Sundays to the phrases that have been passed on from generation to generation, studying and living in Italy for a few months provided me with a feeling of home, but offered a new perspective of my heritage. Living cross-culturally, I learned about my past and experienced a perspective global future.

I find myself maturing into a woman with both integrity and leadership qualities. I am cultivating ideas to one day bring into the world as a compassionate, well-rounded nurse, willing to improve the lives of others. Studying abroad provided a personal growth that only strengthened my desire to be a dynamic person. I am truly grateful for the opportunities that I have been privileged to pursue at NYU and will continue to actively take hold of my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment